Friday, October 1, 2010

Groceries, budgets, and lifestyle quandries

Let's be utterly clear about something.
The only appealable quality to saving money is the thrill you feel when you acquire things through spending it.
In no way do I find any measure of satisfaction by seeing money in my bank account.
Don't get me mistaken. Every tax season, we always create a variety of ways the $6,500 return can be made to pay off the most amount of bills. I enjoy paying off debt, (when I had it.)
But on an every day basis, if I had $100 left over in a paycheck with nothing planned for it, you better believe the kids' wardrobe is getting updated, a teflon shedding plate is getting replaced in the kitchen, or the garden is growing with some plants, dirt, and fertilizer.

I'm not a total snob when it comes to spending money; I shop at Walmart to get a better deal, despite the the fact that it is responsible for accelerating the loss of American jobs over-seas, has been convicted of violating over 1,436 child labor laws, and is the number one importer of goods from China, with 70% of everything they sell coming from China. And if I had the choice of buying something on sale or not, of course, I'd love to buy it on sale. Though, to be honest, I know I could be more frugal. I'll purchase an item, even if it's not on sale.


You've been telling me for years that I spend too much on my groceries.
I've been arguing for years that your methods require sacrificing quality; you need to spend money if you want to eat well. (Just look at how expensive it is to eat organically.)
So when I watched the video you sent me about the cheapest family in America, I was only slightly approving of their methods.
Initially, I was downright appalled and indignant when I heard the family of 5 only spent $350 a month on groceries.
"This isn't realistic!" I said, as I stomped my foot.
"What about produce? That doesn't stay good for a month!"
Indeed, the mother could only admit that certain produce stays well for longer period, (items like apples, oranges, cabbage, celery, carrots).
But who only eat bananas, plums, strawberries, zuchini, broccoli, or any other highly perishable (and frequently on my grocery list) produce item once a month?
To me, this raises serious questions about their meal planning.
I also found it mildly distateful that they enthusiastically encourage families to purchase old pieces of meat that are about to be thrown out.
I struggle to come to terms with the fact that I continue to eat meat in the first place.
("If slaughter houses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian"...in truth, becoming a vegetarian is my next big adventure.) So the idea of purchasing rotting flesh that is even more rotted than the rest is slightly repulsing to me.
Cutting coupons, doubling up on meals, and planning-planning-planning are all really useful tools.
But there's something seriously oppressive about clinging to your money so tightly that you're willing to stress over a carton of ricotta cheese determining which brand will allow you to save more pennies.
I'm all for living within a reasonable budget. I'm all for making sacrifices every now and then.
You don't have a family of five, live on a one income budget, and not know what it means to sacrafice.
I have to say that if I were desperate, then I would probably be more receptive and grateful for the message the Economides family is sharing.
But it's a lifestyle that extends far beyond the grocery store, and one that i'm only partially able to embrace.

That being said, I will share with you my latest grocery venture and see what you think about my purchases.






This is the result of one grocery shopping trip that came to the amount of $80.
In it, I have breakfast items: cereal, eggs, and milk.
The eggs will last for three weeks.
The milk, for three days.

3 Lunches:
Pasta caprese salad
Tortillini of some kind
Tortillini of another kind

3 Dinners:
homemade macaroni bake
tilapia with green beans and rice
tacorito/enchilada type dinner

Snacks:
yogurt
stuff for banana bread
cheese sticks
pudding

I will need to return to the store on Monday to buy more food.
The commissary, by far, is the cheapest place to shop.
Walmart is too far away to be convenient, and i don't even know that it would be that much cheaper.
So what say you about my groceries?







Go easy on me.

0 comments: